2002 film from the director of the more remarkable "The Home Song Stories (and producer of current indie darling Lou), Walking on Water was not as good as it could have been given those credentials, but I was inspired to make a note of my thoughts on it anyway by my gratitude to
silviakundera for this list of queer-themed film reviews. I figure Australian queer-themed numbers don't get much international distribution, so I'll review them when I see them.
Part of the problem, I think, is that the characters are too repellent in their grief. Grief can form a barrier for the audience in even the most engaging of films, but in this the person mourned is too much of a cipher, and there is not enough sense of the life and being of the characters outside of their grief.
About 60/40 gay/straight focus, but pretty much all of the significant on screen sex scenes are hetero. No happy ending - barely a happy moment to be found, in fact. Daniel Roberts made his the most interesting character in his five minutes of screen time, but I think that might have been because all the rest were so relentlessly dismal.
Part of the problem, I think, is that the characters are too repellent in their grief. Grief can form a barrier for the audience in even the most engaging of films, but in this the person mourned is too much of a cipher, and there is not enough sense of the life and being of the characters outside of their grief.
About 60/40 gay/straight focus, but pretty much all of the significant on screen sex scenes are hetero. No happy ending - barely a happy moment to be found, in fact. Daniel Roberts made his the most interesting character in his five minutes of screen time, but I think that might have been because all the rest were so relentlessly dismal.